A mobile- friendly website is a site that is designed in such a way, so that it can be displayed properly on small screen sized electronic gadgets, like iPhone or Android smart phones, or intermediate sized tablets. Mobile optimization is the process of ensuring that visitors who access your site from mobile devices have an experience optimized for the device.
Every year many people spend more and more time on their mobile devices, and they come across many websites yet not designed to be viewed on mobile screens. This means that they are not mobile friendly. Mobile optimization moves around certain areas like site’s design, site structure, page speed, and the main thing is that it specially looks forward to create a pool of visitors.
Having a mobile friendly website brings with it several key advantages like:
• Improved search visibility
• Improved user experience
• Increased lead generation
• Improved brand identity
The importance of mobile friendly website is increasing almost every minute of a day. The customers generally prefer to access to a website from their mobile devices rather than sitting in front of desktops or laptops. Mobile phones or handy tablets carry easy visibility and navigation power. Thus, they can shop anytime anywhere. The increase in website traffic is mainly due to the number of clicks by mobile users. But this doesn’t mean that it doesn’t include the same of laptop/ desktop users. It will be foolish to say that visitors of a given website don’t include the ones who access through any other device apart from mobile phones. So to generate traffic on your website, it is important to have a mobile friendly. Besides the above stated reasons, one more reason that counts to the importance of having a mobile friendly website is that; every consumer has made mobile devices their first choice to browse the website. The demand for mobile devices has also now increased, so it is important to have a mobile friendly website.
Here is a list of some reasons, why your website should be mobile-friendly:
1. Google prioritizes mobile friendly websites over those websites which are not mobile friendly. Google rewards websites that are mobile friendly with higher ranking in mobile search results.
2. People use mobile devices everywhere to perform almost every activity, starting from collection of simple information, to making huge online purchases. This is because of the mobility of such devices, the ease and speed.
3. Customers can be reached at a faster rate as most of the searches are performed through mobile devices. So simply by virtue of having a mobile friendly website it is not wrong to expect more visitors. Making a website mobile friendly automatically opens the customer base.
4. Mobile drives local search mobile devices are a key driver of local searches. Mobile websites boost conversations from users across different device types, thus enhancing the overall marketing ROI.
5. Better brand engagement people like your brand more if you offer a satisfying mobile experience. As half of the searches are made through mobile devices; no doubt, it increases the traffic of the website, but at the same time promotes the brand.
6. A mobile friendly website reduces the bounce rate as it persuades them to stay on the website without losing interest in it. The visitors have to no longer zoom or pinch on the screen to get a suitable view of the site. Thus they feel like staying on the website to perform the related searches.
7. User experience optimizing your website will leave a good impression and provide a good user experience for the respective customers. If a website is not optimized to be viewed on a mobile, it will increase the bounce rate, the customers will find it annoying to pinch or squeeze the screen in order to view the content. Therefore to keep the customers happy, while accessing to the site we should focus on making our sites mobile friendly.
8. Faster website load speed a website is expected to be loaded fast. As there is a time limit within which it should be loaded. If a normal website isn’t mobile optimized it will lead to slow loading, or in worse case scenarios, it may not load at all. A mobile ready website will load quickly because the code is instructed in a way that is compatible with mobile devices. So, it is advisable to always make your websites mobile friendly.
9. Social media referrals are on mobile around 91% of mobile internet access is used for social activities. So if the business is involved into any sort of social media marketing, it will gain attention and thereby increasing the visitors for a given site.
10. Google may penalize you if you don’t have a Mobile Friendly Website because if the website is not mobile friendly, Google will recognize it and will not want it to display as a legitimate search result.
These are a few reasons behind the importance of having a mobile website.
Website owners often come up with the question of how to set up / how to build a mobile website? Here, are the several options to choose from:
• Use a side by side mobile version(Mobile Website Builder)
• Get a Responsive Template
• Get a Responsive Web Design
SIDE BY SIDE MOBILE WEBSITE (MOBILE WEBSITE BUILDER)
The cheapest and quickest way of building a mobile friendly website is using a mobile website builder tool to create a side by side version of your site. When you are done with the building of the site, all you need to do is add a small snippet of code to your website’s html so that the mobile devices are able to pick up the mobile version.
Word Press themes are readymade templates that can be used as the design of the new to build website. Responsive Design is a technique that allows websites to be viewed perfectly on any device.
If you want something that is customized and built just for you, then a full custom website design using Responsive Design will be a good choice for you.
This way one can have a complete control over the whole web design process.
Thus we come to know that mobile optimization is the best way to engage its visitors with high user interface. It won’t be surprising to conclude that mobile friendly websites are a necessity rather than a luxury. Here are five reasons why mobile optimization is more important than desktop optimization.
Improved search engine ranking
Mobile optimized websites shows better search results than desktop optimized websites. In some cases desktop friendly websites remain hidden under the search results even after SEO has been applied. But mobile friendly websites enjoy a better position.
Convenient way of access
Majority of the world access the web through their mobile devices as compared to any other devices. Mobile devices prove to be the convenient way of accessing the web, as one can access the website and perform related searches from any corner of the world. These reasons serve the ground for having a mobile friendly website.
Increase more traffic
As said above, mobile phones are the prime source of website access, so having a mobile friendly website will result into more traffic.
Mobile users purchase more
Mobile users spend more time on websites than desktop users. This leads to more purchases by them. Now this doesn’t mean that desktop users do not shop at all. Most of the transaction is carried out through mobile devices when compared to other devices including desktops.
An easy way of engagement
Desktop optimized websites do not provide the required opportunity to interact with the users, whereas mobile optimized websites provide such opportunity to engage with the users.
We have talked a lot about having a mobile friendly website. But the question is how do I know that our company’s website is Mobile friendly?
One can easily recognize whether the website of the company is mobile friendly or not; this is possible by checking that the website scales to display content and navigation in a way that is optimized to be viewed on smaller screens. However, if one is not sure about it, then in that case Google offers a Mobile-Friendly test that makes it easy to check. All one has to do is, simply type the URL and Google will tell you whether or not the site fails or passes the test.
If the website clears the test, it means that you are in good shape; on the other hand if it fails, then one must look forward of converting it into a site which is mobile-friendly. The change is expected to take place sooner rather than later.
If you haven’t made your website mobile-friendly, you should. The majority of visitors reaching the site are mobile users.
1. If you don’t know or if you are not sure whether your website is mobile friendly or not, take the mobile friendly test.
2. If you used content management software like Wordpress to build your website, then you are required to check out our guide to customize your website software.
3. If you don’t use such software, consider hiring a web developer.
4. If you are technical enough to do it yourself, check our Mobile SEO Guide.
Here are some advantages and disadvantages of having a mobile website:
ADVANTAGES OF HAVING A MOBILE WEBSITE:
Consumer demand for mobile sites- The demand for mobile sites is increasing day by day. If the websites were not optimized it would have been difficult to read, scroll through or zoom into. These sites have a higher bounce rate of people leaving them, and so it reflects the importance of meeting consumer demand for mobile websites that works seamlessly on small screens.
Convenience of mobile browsing- People now want the convenience of accessing the web on a mobile browser from any location such as, home, office, schools, coffee shops or any other place via wireless internet connection.
Business to customer interaction- Mobile websites is only starting point for a business building a web presence. Nowadays apart from connecting with its customers via the official websites, the business companies also interact with their customers through Social Medias. Thus, mobile websites facilitate customer interaction.
More Diverse Advertising- Mobile websites offer diverse advertising. As mobile ads are now commonplace in many different apps that people install on their phones or tablets. Thus target group of customers can be selected who are generally expected to download the app in specific categories.
Visually simpler and easy to navigate- Mobile friendly websites are simple to visualize and easy to navigate. Navigation is made easy for the visitors. The customers can view the page accordingly by not wasting much of their time pinching or zooming in. Thus, they can have a smooth access to the given mobile website.
Mobile users behave differently- Mobile users do not use their phones for longer periods of time. They use it frequently, but at short intervals. Mobile users don’t have that patience to wait for massive graphics to load that takes too much of time. Studies say that about 40% of people are willing to abandon the site if it takes more than 3 seconds to load. Therefore mobile websites are designed keeping in mind such user behavior.
Mobile usage is exploding- One cannot deny to the fact that mobile usage is exploding as compared to desktop usage. Half of the searches are performed on mobile devices i.e. around 20% of Google searches are performed on mobile devices.
Thus we reach to a conclusion that mobile websites is not a choice but a must have component for every website of a company, in order to reach its goals. The mobile ready site will build confidence in your brand. The 24/7 availability of products and services will keep the customers stay on the website stable, which in turn will turn the visitors into permanent customers.